November 26, 2008

still waters

There are words that I very distinctly remember learning when I was little... like echo... and reflection. I felt like I carried those definitions around with me as if they were prized possessions, not simply everyday occurrences. Oh, the sound of an echo was more than magic... and the joy and effort that sometimes went into creating one, made the echo incredibly amazing. And reflections... beautiful images floating on the surface of glass... or still waters. I do love when water lies like glass, stretching from shore to shore. I love the unrippled photographs laid out for us like a kaleidoscope. And I am reminded of Jesus calming the stormy sea. Only He could smooth out the water's surface and paint simple, breathtaking reflections. Even on a sunny day, there can be whitecaps in a lake... gray water rippling up and down, the images at the edge rough and indeterminable... I certainly have days like that. When my mind is churning and I don't know what should be next among the mess in my mind. And when I have relied on my own agenda, I once again fall back to hear Be still and know that I am God. Oh yes... be still... listen... let Him sort it all out for me. Be still... don't you remember what He has told you? Be still. And soon, the swirling had been laid flat calm... and the grasses and trees have reached out onto the glass lake and given us a most beautiful reflection to tuck away... crystal clear... without a rough edge in sight.
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

Busy Bee Suz said...

beautiful. I love it.
hugs, SUZ