June 01, 2009

a curtsy

I wish I had taken her picture... although I'm not sure that I could've done her joyful glow any sort of justice. And wish as I might, there is no going back anyway... so I might as well just keep the memory alive in my heart... of her shining moment when her face showed no fear or trepidation... only pure joy.

I am a lot like her... my Mother. I shy away from the crowd and from recognition, even when I might deserve the praise... even when I have worked so hard to impress. But setting out to impress doesn't mean I want to be publicly set apart. It doesn't. I just want to show my best... and share the gifts I have been given. And I come by it rightly.

This past Sunday, my parents cooked and set out a buffet brunch for 100 of their fellow church members... from fluffy omelet casseroles to decadent almond cream puffs. Every morsel was delicious... and prepared by their loving hands. This is what she does... she cooks up a storm. It's not the cooking that makes her smile bright though... I think it is the hostessing part... the satisfying reward of pleasing a crowd. And she & I... we do that well. People pleasers... that is who we are.

But I was proud of her... not for her wonderful cooking skills, but for how far she has grown. When the Pastor asked for a round of applause I thought my Mom might be hiding in the kitchen... but I was wrong. As I turned my head I fully expected her to peek out the kitchen window and wave before retreating back to safety... but I was wrong. There she stood... smiling filling up her whole face... and then... she curtsied. Perhaps a wisp of fleeting fear passed through her heart... but she didn't let it show.

My mom is a beautiful woman, inside and out... and I love that she is growing more and more comfortable sharing herself with the world. Shine on, Mom... your light is contagious!

(And as for Bob... well, I expected him to be silly and take a huge bow... but he was content to just step back. And once again, I am thankful for him. Thankful for his part in my Mom's growth... and thankful for his great love for her.)


I sure love Unwrapping tuesdays with Emily at Chatting at the Sky!

16 comments:

jenn said...

A very sweet post! I need to take time to appreciate my mom more. I am sure your mom is a lovely woman!

We really, really enjoyed our camping trip. We came upon the fawn while geo-chaching! I thought my husband found the box, but he found the fawn instead--a beautiful sight. We figured we scared the mother off with all of our exploring!

M said...

Ohhhh, now that's sweet! And a good cook to top it off!!

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

What a sweet, wonderful sentiment - love it! :) Even though you didn't capture it on film I'm sure the memory will live in your heart!

Busy Bee Suz said...

What nice words for a wonderful Mom. It is great that we can still GROW and evolve at any age!

mom said...

I wish you had started blogging back when you were in middle school because I would have surely been able to see into your soul and I could have helped you with all those tough moments that pop up into your blog every now and then........but then again.......perhaps those tough times have made you into the beautiful woman you are today. I never quite feel worthy of your praise but I love your written word and as you have explained to me....you have always felt my love for you.......That's the most important thing. I love you.

Crissie said...

How SWEET!!! I can only imagine how proud your mother must be to read this...

xoxoxox

Melissa Stover said...

that is so sweet! sounds like you have a great relationship.

Bee said...

If the story itself wasn't enough to send me for the tissues (which it was) your mother's comment did me in. You two sound like very special ladies. It's nice to know you, even if it's only in BlogLand!

Richella Parham said...

What a very sweet post. I wish I could meet your mother--and you! I am so glad for you that you get to know her when you, too, are a mother. There are things you never really understand until you're there, don't you think?

reliv4life said...

this is beautiful and so is your mom for being willing to grow and change - as scary as it can seem - it is usually worth it.

Jo said...

What a sweet tribute to your mom. And how cool is it to see that growth in ourselves and the ones we love...the coming out of our shells...the stepping out of our comfort zones...
I'm wishing this afternoon that I went to your church. Those almond cream puffs are calling my name. :-)

Kellye said...

How incredibly sweet! You two sound like two amazing people! Glad to "know" you if even just through the blog world!!!

Jami said...

LOVE this post. Thanks for sharing your heart and that great moment. I'm with you - love Tuesday's Unwrapped!

Hi - I'm Jami by the way! :)

Jen said...

Simply wonderful to recognize your mom in this way.

Unknown said...

how privileged you are to have such a wonderful mom, and equally so that she knows how much she means to you.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful thing. A very wonderful thing.

What a beautiful thing. A curtsy. I love that.