December 03, 2009

staying ahead of the storm

The sky looks ominous this morning. That hazy yellowish hue is hovering with a heaviness to it. It makes me think that the sky might fall... in those big sloshing silver-dollar sized raindrops. I grabbed my umbrella... just in case. But the way the wind is blowing, opening it might just carry me off to Oz. Looking in the rear view mirror, I can see the storm in the distance... chasing me. And I press on just a little more. Trying to stay ahead of the storm.
How often do I play that game? Pushing myself just a little bit more...to stay ahead. Of the stretched ends that might not be meeting. Or the argument that is simmering on the back burner. Or even those hurt feelings that have covered my heart... tucked away out of sight behind the storm shutters.
But I have learned... that the storm comes. It comes fiercely, and often leaves a mess that cannot be swept up under the carpet of our life.
Still... I press on. Grabbing tight to the One who steers me...eventually emerging into the Son.

6 comments:

jenn said...

So very nice!

Anonymous said...

Love this! :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Yes...it does always seem to find us. Great post...beautiful words.

Bee said...

This is wonderful. I have such a vivid picture of stepping out of the rain into the Son. It's a beautiful picture.

And I need to tell you that your music has been very special to me lately. Profoundly inmportant. More on this later.

Kelli said...

Thanks for this encouragement. We will face trouble while we're running this race, but we will finally win in eternity.

Unknown said...

the One who steers me. I am so thankful for Him! So very thankful. Great post Dawn!