December 11, 2009

o little town

I'm not a city girl... I have enough hustle and bustle in my own home, never mind all around town! But I do have grand memories of spending festive days in New York City. The Macy's parade... walking endless blocks, stopping at the corner for a steamy pretzel... shopping (and my shoe getting stuck in an escalator)... and the very thing that draws me to the city... Radio City Music Hall and the Rockettes. And that is why... we chose the Christmas village we did. (I wasn't going to tell you this part... but we were given different village pieces for wedding gifts... and we traded them in!) We love our little town, nestled into the snow covered shelves that hold family photos and books for the better part of the year. Taking out each pieces is like reconnecting with old friends... and call me crazy, but I find myself chatting with them as they lay claim to their spot. The one thing that brings a touch of sadness about this little town of ours? I'm a bystander. I long to find a cozy nook in the book store and settle in for an hour... or six. Or eat a big bowl of spaghetti by candle light... out on the patio of the best (and only!) Italian restaurant in town.
I can almost hear the music floating through the air as these friends perform in front of the biggest Christmas tree in town... and I find myself lifting a hand to wave to the men who protect these people I hold dear.


The shopping here is first rate, and there must be a sale... because the shopping bags are overflowing. Those waving flags and rounds of evergreen call to me... and I wonder how long the wait is to see Santa.

These little girls are remind me of Madeleine... as they trek out on their annual field trip through the city. And I imagine that it won't be long before they find their way to a bakery for a cookie and a steaming mug of hot chocolate. Or maybe they will talk their teacher into stopping at the hot dog cart.


And while it would be impossible for me to travel to the city for a show... at least there is a little part of it right here... and another in my heart.

It won't be long... before Christmas Eve arrives, and the soft glow of candles will light up the windows of the church. If I listen closely... I can hear the carols dancing in the air... heralding the birth of a Savior.
If you are in the neighborhood... stop on by. The air is warm and the snow never melts. The city folk are smiling... and even in the midst of the hustle and bustle... there is peace.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Dawn. Your village is perfect! I loved the "tour"! I bet my kids would enjoy one of these. I have two little houses, but no village with people and cars and trees. Thanks for the ideas! Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! :) My mom's Christmas village is one of our favorite parts of the season. It takes up like half of her living room. Thanks for taking us on this little walk through your beautiful town. :)

jenn said...

What a quaint little town you have there! I would be oh so happy to visit and share a steamimg mug of hot chocolate with you!

Pam said...

I want to live there! Love love love this! : )

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is so cute Dawn. I never wanted a Christmas Village until I saw your posts about it.
I do think you are crazy though talking to these people...I only talk to my pets and topiary. and frogs in the yard.
ok, maybe you are not crazy.
I do think you should throw some glitter at your village, that will give it even more sparkle.
Happy Friday!

Rosemarie said...

Oh I love it! I love it all! We have very similar tastes. I look at these on display at stores all the time, but I just can't justify getting them until the girls (and new one!) are older. I'd have a million pieces of ceramic all over the floor. (I like the school girls best, too!)