July 13, 2009

zebra starts with z



The first photo is from Cam's room... but the second? My Mom actually took that photo in Africa... real zebras, even though here you can only see their backsides! My Mom has some really amazing pictures of the animals she has seen on safari (this is a cast off photo that she gave to the kids because it wouldn't fit in her scrapbook!) and I really love that she has had the chance to actually go to Africa... twice.

My Mom went to Africa to see the animals... elephants, giraffes, leopards, birds, lions... and zebras. And while she was there, loving the animals, she unexpectedly fell in love with the people. The customs, the stories, the way of life, the wide eyed wonder of the children. Never has she gone back to a country she has traveled to... but almost as soon as she arrived, she knew she would return. Her dream is to take her kids to Africa... to be able to share it all with us, through experience, not just photos. My stepsister & her husband went this past fall... and our family is next. Someday. And then, when someday arrives, we'll have to talk Laura into the shots before we can actually go...

Working my way from Z to A with Jen at Unglazed!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, not only is that a Zebra post in the raw, it's a beautiful post about a beautiful woman.

Jen said...

And most of us only get to see them in the Zoo. Great Z post
Happy Monday Dawn!

Busy Bee Suz said...

What a lovely post..about the animals and your Mom!
but more importantly, are those boy zebras or girl zebras? I can't see them good enough....
:0

Ben said...

I'm curious about which country she visited. TanZania, perhaps? Zaire? Zambia? (is that a country?)

Minerva said...

Africa must be a magical place to go. My husband grew up there (father was in US State Dept.) and wants to go back some day. Though he was young, he has wonderful memories.

dawn said...

Hi Dawn-

I just started blogging and appreciate you stopping by to say hello! You are the second Dawn to visit my blog. I like your blog and look forward to having more of a chance to read it. I saw your post about your one year anniversary at your new job--and relate to it...and I have Fridays off too! LOVE that.

Thanks for saying hi--Dawn

Dorothy said...

I like your Zebra post! I would love to go on a real safari! I get so excited when I get to photograph any kind of wild animal!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful zebra picture and what an amazing experience to look forward to.

Cassie said...

I just love this post. Zebras are some of my favorite animals. Their hide is a fantastic design. (My dad did a few safaris in Mozambique, I hate to say, but it wasn't a photo safari.:>(

I hope you all get to Africa with your mom and then we can enjoy all kinds of cool tales and photos from Beyond Graceland!! Blessings, C.

Unknown said...

So special! I love it! Your writing sooths my soul. Every once in a while I lose your blog and then I think about you frequently and wish Suz had a link on her site to you. Today, as soon as I get home from work, I am saving you to my favorites. Cause you are my favorite, Dawn :)