January 08, 2009

still celebrating

Here is is, January eighth... and yes, my Christmas tree is still up... along with all of my other decorations. We even turned the lights on the other night, which was probably a big mistake- it looked so beautiful, and this tree which I have not loved as I have so many others, stole my heart. Colorful twinkling lights... throwing sparkling reflections on our precious ornaments... maybe I needed these quiet moments more than I knew. A few more days until I can even think about getting it all put away, so I may as well enjoy. And, sometimes when you still have your tree up, there are great perks... like this little treasure I found on the kitchen counter after work yesterday...

Crazy, I know, but this little gift sent me screaming with joy into the other room where my husband was just quietly reading. I really wanted these measuring cups... I had seen them at the store, and thought that they were beautiful, and fun! But I was not going to spend that much for silly measuring cups, even at 30% off... even though they would look pretty in the drawer... and collapse and leave the drawer maybe a little more tidy. And then, there they were, on my kitchen counter... expertly wrapped by the man who shares his life with me... and who sometimes knows me better than I know myself. How I love these after Christmas finds... tucked away in the closet behind the shoes... or on top of a cabinet, just out of sight... like the Easter eggs you come across in July. Little celebrations that brighten an ordinary day... and bring laughter and joy to my heart.

2 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is so sweet! I love little gifts too....
Good luck on getting the tree down, that is never the fun part.

If Eric needs some wrapping paper, tell him I have plenty. :)

Unknown said...

So sweet : ). I love it. It made my day. I just got some ridiculously expensive measuring cup from Pampered Chef. I could go the rest of my life without going to one of those home parties...