August 09, 2008

my all in all

Driving along the other day, I noticed that the canals and waterways are really starting to fill up again... no longer are they surrounded by several feet of dry cracked mud or dusty sand. The rain has come, and they are once again pretty- refilled and refreshed. Thinking about it further, I realized that we never really notice the water evaporating away- one day we just realize the water has become a puddle, where there was once an abundance... and the weeds are growing wildly along the edges- and it looks... bleak. And even when the rain begins to do its job, it doesn't make an impact until weeks later... It seemed like such a profound thought at the time- and I wanted to know, how do I make it work for me? What is it He says? Ask and you shall see? How often do we just truck along in our little life, just getting by, day by day, doing all of what has to be done- go, go, go, go? And then suddenly, here we are- dry, and empty, and in need of... something. It happens to me... more than I care to admit, I suppose. And when I realize how dry I really am, I look to try to quench my thirst- eating... shopping... sleeping... like craving chocolate when all you have is chips. You eat them anyway, hoping they will hit the spot- but only chocolate will do, you realize after you've consumed six other unsatisfying treats. When I am dry, I have learned, the only thing that refreshes me is Jesus. Living water. And why did it take me so long to remember that? So I sit in my quiet spot and ask for forgiveness, and for refreshment... and what do you know? He has already filled my cup. Already... before I asked. Time and time again... He never fails me. This time though, I think I realized that my cup was never empty at all... I was never really all that dry... I simply forgot to peek over the brim of my life and see that the blessings were there just waiting to refresh me. I neglected that part of my life and let all of the little things get in the way... get between me and my refreshment. I am so thankful that Jesus knows me... that He knows my heart and knows how much I love Him- even when I let the weeds start pushing up around the shore...

When I am down You pick me up...
When I am dry You fill my cup...
You are my All in all.

No comments: